Thursday, 10 May 2007

Weight loss

Weight loss

Introduction
In this section I will provide the information that helped me lose my excess weight which works for people with not much weight to lose as well as those who have a longer way to go in the weight loss struggle. I am one person who has found that many other dieting plans do not work for me even when followed to the letter, this plan works because it focuses on more than just one area of weight loss. So if you are like me in this respect, I urge you to give it a go.
When undertaking on a weight loss diet, many people find that the rate of weight loss slows down or even stops after a while. This is because, with many diets, the amount of food that you eat is greatly reduced so your metabolic rate slows down a great deal because your body thinks that it is starving. This is a natural bodily reaction, however, my weight loss dieting plan focuses not on eating a severely reduced amount but on eating healthy portions of the right kinds of food.

Fasting
On the same note, fasting will have a worse effect on your weight gain after you resume your normal diet.
Fasting may appear to help you lose weight as your body starts to use up its fat stores but the reality of this is that it again greatly reduces your metabolic rate so that when you do start eating even a very healthy diet, your body weight will shoot up again, this is called 'yoyo dieting'. This effect occurs during and after low calorific diets but the effects are much more drastic when fasting because when you fast, much of what your body feeds on is lean weight and muscle so you may find that an overweight problem will be worse after a fast.
You may think that exercising whilst fasting will help to speed up your metabolic rate but the effect of this is that, since your body is feeding off itself, the greater amount of exercise performed during this period, the higher the levels of acetate which in itself is toxic to brain fuction. Worse than this, if you have high acetate levels in your blood you have a greater likelihood of metabolic acidoses developing; these can lead to coma and ultimately death. Basically, fasting is not a good idea no matter how you try to control your body's reactions.

Bingeing
Another problem with reducing the amount of food you eat, bingeing. When the body is starved of the correct calorific intake, it gets ready to take maximal advantage of any food that becomes available. So while you think that you will lose weight by not eating two of your daily meals i.e. just eating in the evening, you will be very likely to eat as much at this time as you would do from eating three meals a day. Also it is not good for weight loss for you to have one large intake of food per day as most of this energy will not be used straight away and will therefore be stored. As fat. Even if you do not stuff yourself when eating this one meal, you are probably consuming more than you realise as your body takes advantage of this source of energy.
People who are dieting also forbid themselves from snacking in between meals which can, occasionally, cause the same effect. For instance, if there is an unusually long period between two of your meals for a certain reason (i.e. you had to lunch early or you are going out for a meal in the evening) and you forbid yourself from topping up your energy levels then by the time you come to your evening meal, you will most likely be very hungry and therefore liable to overeat or binge. So if you find that this is the case, have a healthy snack like a piece of fruit, just something small to keep you going. But if you have something larger for a snack, don't try to compensate by eating less in the evening; eat as much as you would have done because this prevents you from snacking late at night.

Losing weight healthily and permanently
The best way to lose weight is to eat a regular healthy amount; by healthy I mean a reasonably sized portion, not necessarily small, of good foods.
The good foods that I speak of are those which allow you to burn up more calories than they contain. These foods will help you to lose weight and also achieve a lower cholesterol level.
I myself achieved my ideal weight after developing a diet that consists of these foods. I was not grossly overweight, I had to lose 1 stone to be my perfect weight but could not understand why i was not losing it as the amount that Iate was less than most of the people I knew who looked fantastic. But then I realised that it was not how much I was eating but the types of food I was eating. These were not high calorie fatty foods and my diet could not be called an unhealthy one but then I realised that to get my weight down I had to change the food and not how much I was eating.

No comments: